Monday, December 28, 2009

We Gathered for Gaza


Yesterday we Gathered for Gaza....in Doylestown, PA. The weather was kind to us, just below 50
Though our group was not large, about 30-35 people, we made up for that in diversity, support for Gaza and enthusiasm. We were a diverse group: ethnically, geographically, religiously, age....our common bond was Gaza and Palestine.

There was a lone counter-demonstrator carrying a small sign the said something about if it is good for Israel, it's good.

Much to our delight, numerous people indicated their support of Gaza by beeping horns, giving us a thumbs up sign and telling us to keep up the good work. Actually, I was not merely surprised but amazed by the open support. I know Gaza has supporters, but for the most part, unless they are "among friends" they say little. Here we were in Doylestown, the center of a basically suburban town, in front of the county court house and people were blowing car horns; telling everyone around them they supported Gaza! It was terrific!

Nagi, his wife and their five beautiful daughters came from Allentown. They had special reasons for join in ...they are from Gaza. The two oldest girls have visited Gaza; getting to know grandparents, family and friends....the little ones haven't been able to go because of the siege and blockade.

Their family lives in Southern Gaza near the Israeli border; 800 meters from it. They have farmland they're reluctant to visit because they're shot at from Israeli gunning towers; I'm not sure if the towers are manned or remote controlled. The picture on the right shows a remote control gunning tower (it's a tiny bit right of center). Hidden under the domed top are high powered machine guns...the dome opens like a tulip.... allowing the guns to fire away. Who does the shooting? The latest information from Israel; female soldiers! They sit safely in Israel, watching TV screens; when they observe movement (or even when they don't) they operate the guns by remote control. The women interviewed said they were "excited to be in combat."

After the demonstration many of us went to Saxby's Community Room for coffee, hot chocolate and cookies. Outside, the sun had begun to disappear so the warmth was appreciated. Going to Sazby's had been a late addition to the Gathering's plans....I had called Sunday morning, the room was available and I signed up. Next time I'll know to alert the staff to make extra coffee and be prepared to whip up a dozen hot chocolates.

Being at Saxby's offered time to to become better acquainted....explore cooperative projects and network. Too often there isn't time for that during demonstrations or vigils. Also I had my computer and projector with me and we very informally watched pictures of Gaza, the West Bank and even my Winter Solstice Tree.

I can't close with out commenting as a grandmother; I'm infuriated these children are denied access to their grandparents! It is one thing to live a distance from your grandparents and not visit them....it is quite another to have a siege and blockade deny access! Many children and grandparents are separated because one lives in Gaza and the other in the West Bank.

While visiting Ramalah in the West Bank I struck up a conversation with teenagers. A 15 year old was lamenting the fact that she couldn't visit her grandmother; hadn't seen her in four years. When I inquired why she explained her grandmother lives in another district, I believe it was Bethlehem. Their Palestinian ID cards, issued by Israel, identify their "district".....they aren't allowed to travel into other areas. When she'd been younger she was able to "slip through."She hadn't seen her grandmother in four years...thanks to cell phones they're able to talk to each other.

What would I do under those circumstances? I can't imagine! How could I accept such arbitrary, unfair restrictions? Would I attempt defying the "law"??? I wouldn't want the grandkids taking risks but I certainly could....


No comments:

Post a Comment