Saturday, January 02, 2010

2010...Challanges

With the arrival of 2010 I am faced with many challenges...some perennials: my weight; control of the messing up fairies or as we've come to call them "MUFS". The messing up fairies found us in Iowa and followed us east in 1990. They specialize in creating clutter; hiding things; making a mess....they are more of a nuisances than a problem. However they are beginning to hoard junk, pack stuff away...this is becoming more than a nuisance.

Over the past two years a new group has joined the MUFS. From the concentration of mayhem, they've taken up residence in the basement; making forays into the house when we've gone out or are sleeping. They specialize in the placement of heavy duty grime, dirt, dust...they are slow and steady in their work! Upstairs there's no evidence of their existence; then boom.....one day you notice 1/8 inch of sticky dust on the chair rail. Could it appear overnight? Was it there in disguise? How do these new "destructors" decide when it's time to "go public" with their work? I don't think they are fairies; the tasks are heavy duty; requiring more strength than fairies have to offer. They make life a constant chore. They also need an identity!

Enough of challenges on the domestic front! I will not venture into the front, sides or back of my weight challenges..other than to say..I out did myself in 2009; enjoying good food and wine a bit too often. If I'm honest, the problem hasn't been the good food...it's been any food; just stuffing it in and swallowing it down...not really eating...I've been devouring foods I don't even like!

What's a major goal 2010?
Returning to Gaza, now targeted for May; this requires raising funds to make it happen. I believe I've talked about this before...I hate fund raising! I have always avoided the task! And now it's a necessity! And I'm the recipient! It just goes against "my being"

I called Pat, she's been a friend for a long, long time, asking for the address of a mutual friend; explaining I'm developing a list of people...people who might help me return to Gaza..."Are you asking for a donation?" Not yet, but I will be.."Oh" She didn't sound over joyed. I asked how long she'd known me."Over forty years" Have I ever asked you to contribute, donate money for anything? "No" Then that should tell you how important this is!

There is no way I'll be able to return to Gaza without asking for money and receiving it. It's been suggested that I'm providing an opportunity for people to invest in a worthy cause. Well, it is...but... How about requesting support; including financial support? When I give presentations I'm asked how much my fee is...."fee"...I have no fee, the important thing is telling the story ... telling it to as many people as possible. That needs to be re-tooled. I would rather talk, receiving no fee; than not talk. I know I need a "suggested donation" for speaking engagements....but it hurts deep inside me. It's borders on violating what I believe my life is all about... my relationship with community ...contributing to community....what I strive towards. Self worth also factors into this; there's no way I'll touch that one!

Suggestions? I need suggestions for making Gaza in May a reality. Someone commented there are no comments on my blog....tell me about it! Please, please, please...if you read this; have a flicker of an idea.... leave your comment/suggestion. You will make my day! Maybe even get me to Gaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment