Tuesday, April 12, 2011

no whistling Dixie

Okay Susan, it's your decision, choose a college! Forgetting the fact that I lacked decision making skills....I'd never been allowed to make a major decision in my life, I did as I was told!

My choice, sight unseen:, Winthrop College in South Carolina; a Southern Women's College (which I'd been led to believe was the proper thing for me to do) It was exactly what I wanted, especially since Pennsylvania was far away. So, in August 1959 I left home; flying to Charlotte NC, traveling by bus to Rock Hill SC where I spent the next eight months, miserable but discovering much about myself, north/south, human nature and group process.

Choosing a college without visiting first is not too smart. Winthrop's campus was pretty, nice buildings and grounds which I quickly learned were divided into front campus and back campus. There were many rules, way too many draconian rules with ridiculous punishments attached to them.


Most of the girls at Winthrop went home on week ends leaving it quite empty except for a few of us damn Yankees. It was horrible! Even more boring than during the week. Receiving mail was about the only thing to look forward to. I mentioned front campus and back campus...well the post office, even though it was in the back, was considered "front campus" where the wearing of a dress or skirt was required No slacks no Bermuda shorts were permitted on front campus. (Jeans and shorts were never to be worn by Winthrop girls.) So, I had on Bermudas and wanted to check my mail box...not wanting to change, I put on my raincoat  covering my shorts.As I opened the box...my raincoat slipped open exposing my forbidden clothing! I was caught by a professor and restricted.: be in dorm room at 7pm. not allowed freedom until 7am...should use of the toilet be needed permission from thea  hall monitor. that went on for a week. And I didn't even have any mail!


1959 brought sit-ins to the Carolinas and much of the South. Segregation brought cries of "Dixie for ever" and "Integration?  Never, Never, Never!!" Right off the bat I was treated with suspicion; no southern hospitality for me! That was such a shock....I was being called a Yankee when I thought I was a southerner. And I'd been contending with suspicious from Yankees for the past three years because I was a southerner.

My first real encounter with "Dixie" was in Charlotte, I'd gone there to see a doctor. The bus trip was long, I was tired and very hungry when we pulled into the terminal. I went directly to the luncheonette...they weren't "serving."... I went to Woolworth's; they weren't "serving". I was starving and getting angry, There was no food being served anywhere... because they didn't, wouldn't, refused to serve Blacks! How could all these restaurants and people be so stupid?  I was mad at the south for being bigoted. Their bigotry was directly affecting me. Why hadn't I realized this before?

Next I hopped on a bus headed for my doctors appointment...hopping was slow and careful because I had a brace on my back and neck. The braces were quite viable yet not one southern gentleman, young or old, offered me his seat. The bus was packed except for one seat near the back. I sat in the available aisle seat next to a thirty-something black woman. She immediately began to vacate her seat.I asked her not to move because of me, explained all was fine and if anyone stood it would be me. She gave me a weak smile...at the next stop she left the bus.  I was angry at the ignorant  "white folks" on the bus. I'd shown them! Years later I realized I'd put the woman and the other Blacks on the bus in a terrible position, even a dangerous one. She probably got off at the next bus stop because she was afraid. I hadn't considered the possible consequences of my actions.

My lack of belonging was quite apparent. The fact that I'd decided I didn't really want to belong was probably apparent as well. I struck out on my own, to hell with the southern belles. I don't remember the chain of events leading to it but I organized an afternoon pre-school group for retarded children. My sociology professor was involved in the process. She was aware I'd worked in a camp for special needs children, was bored, with way to much time on my hands and in need of doing something satisfying.

A church volunteered space for the program. Word spread and mothers began to inquire about the "special class". One of the mothers I met with was black. She hoped her son could join the group which I said he certainly could. I met with my Professor to finalize arrangements. She gave a big sigh upon learning one of the students was black. "I'm not so sure you can do that."  Well I was going to do that....if he couldn't be in the group, there would be no group. She listened as I said over and over again it was wrong to exclude blacks and I'd have no parts of it. She understood, even agreed with me...but....

But...the church might not let us use the room if there's a black child in the group. That certainly isn't very Christian. We went to see them, after lengthy discussion we came away with permission to use the room.
But...what will the other parents think, the white parents? There were no programs for pre-school special needs children...if they wanted their child in the group it was an integrated group, it was that simple.
But...what about the college? what would they think? what would they do? The group wasn't affiliated with the college in any way (we'd forget about the Sociology Professor) If I was threatened with retaliation....That would be a shame, I have so many contacts with the media in Philadelphia and I was certain they would want to "cover the story"

The group flourished, The Rock Hill newspaper ran a feature story  about the city's first pre school group for retarded children and the Yankee who started it. There was no mention of the class being integrated. Years later I realized that little group was probably the first integrated classroom in the city, if not South Carolina.

My experience with group dynamics will follow/

No comments:

Post a Comment