Sunday, July 25, 2010

Blogging certainly has its ups and downs...I guess every thing in life does.Why do the downs seem to come at the times when they are least welcome?\

From the eyes, hands and memory of a child
I know I've mentioned the art exhibit we're working on, "A Child's View From Gaza" The pictures the children drew are wonderful...some are exceptional...the subject is devastating! Take a look for yourself!

We are working on venues for the complete exhibit and have some exciting possibilities. In the mean time a few of the pictures will be featured in Burlington, VT"s "Art Hop" September 11 & 12. I'll pass on more information about it as soon as it's available.

This time next month I will be somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean on my way to Cairo and then Gaza. Whew! I bought my tickets last week and immediately the reality of what's in store for me set in. I've never been away for six weeks; what will that be like? I'm sure I'll probably be homesick at times...it would be strange if I weren't.

My biggest concern it making it from Cairo to Rafah and through the border crossing into Gaza. Yes, I've done that but before only that time I was with a group, someone else was taking care of the arrangements. There will be glitches and problems; am I capable and resourceful enough to work them out myself....without speaking the language? Most of the time, when that crosses my mind I'm 80-90% confident that I'll have no trouble. At other times I envision myself in dirty, messy clothes, my suitcase fallen open; the contents spilling all over the sidewalk and street, tears flowing from my eyes leaving dirty streaks running down my face. I'm  sitting on the curb with a crowd of people around me...Laughing! Not a pretty picture...thankfully I don't have  that vision frequently.

A friend has offered to have friends of his help me in Egypt and at the Rafah Border crossing. That sounds good, very good. It would certainly be nice to have someone waiting for me at the air port. Our friend and his wife are from Gaza, they have five exquisitely beautiful daughters which shouldn't be surprising their mother is gorgeous. We met them at the "Gathering for Gaza in December" They haven't seen their family in Gaza for six years. The oldest child remember being there....

I would be devastated if I couldn't see my grandchildren, Friday night my husband, a grandson and I went out for dinner for a birthday celebration....my grandson is now 17! It doesn't seem possible for him to be 17 and a senior in high school. Dinner was so good food, conversation, company...couldn't have been better. He's matured so much in the past year. He travels all over Philadelphia on public transportation,,,for a suburban kid that's quite an accomplishment. He's talking about colleges....where did the time go?

How do the grandparents in Gaza and the West Bank manage  not seeing their grand children? Their freedom of movement has been taken away. Does it make anyone safer? I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment