Sunday, July 04, 2010

The Long Road From Munich to Palestine




It was early morning  September 5, 1972.My husband, seven year old daughter and I were sleepily riding the underground in Munich on our way to watch water polo, the first Olympic event that day.

I loved the Olympics! I loved all those different people from all those different countries being able to play those games.I get teary thinking of the African athlete running in his bare feet...finishing hours after everyone else. As he ran into the stadium and around the track, he received a standing ovation. The noise from clapping and shouting was deafening. He was everyone's hero an exemplary athlete.. It was wonderful to experience. I feel ashamed I don't remember his name, where he was from and which sport, it must have been the marathon..   

As we stepped into the light that September morning, we were met by German soldiers surrounding the fence around the Olympic Village...weapons slung over their shoulders. What could possibly happen to cause the massive increase in security? Neither of us spoke German so we reverted to hand signs. A pistol shaped hand;"bang, bang": followed by eyes rolling back and closing:a head dropping to the side; they sent the clear message of shooting and death. We determined the shooting involved athletes in the Olympic Village but that was all. 

Near the Swimming Hall and right next to the Olympic Village we saw a concentration of soldiers and police joined by handful of newsmen and spectators. We then found out Palestinian terrorists had killed Israeli athletes.How many no one knew; nor did they know how many terrorists there were. The balcony of the Israeli apartments was in plain view....every once in a while someone with a ski mask and gun would appear on the balcony, then duck back into the apartment. 

We went to the water polo event, I was afraid to stay outside or return to our rooms without my husband.. I believe water polo was the only event played that day, All the remaining events on the 5th were canceled. By the time we went back outside it was impossible to get near the Olympic Village. News reporters were everywhere 
with cameras and video...it was a mob scene and "facts" about what was happening changed with each person you asked. It was too much for me....I took my daughter and returned to our accommodations.
  
Once we were safely "home" l kept wondering "who are these terrorists?" "Palestine??" "Why would Palestinian Terrorists want to kill Israelis"

It made no sense! I was living a "nice" little life as a suburban housewife, entertaining beautifully, going to cocktail parties and dinner dances, I was even  a Republican committeewoman! What did I know or care about Palestine?
I did know a bit about Israel, they are always the victim and mistreated; they suffered through the  Holocaust; they are turning that land where nothing grew, into green, green green; they deserve to have the land, Israel,,,,,oh, they? The Jews! They should have everything, after all. they have suffered so badly.


(A complaint was voiced about the above paragraph...it's reference to Jews, the Holocaust and how I was unfair and nasty. I eared by writing "the Jews"  I did not intend to refer  to people, Jews or Jewish people. I was referring to Israel,:Israel the country; Israel, the government; Israel the state of action and force. .It should also be noted that in no way were the Palestinians justified in killing the Israeli athletes.).

In the early eighties husband #1 left and I returned to college but never studied Israel of Palestine...can't even remembering hearing Palestine mentioned. Late eighties, enter husband #2 who is British, has traveled extensively, speaks four languages and really, really thinks Israel is racists, certainly not a democracy, receives too much money and special treatment from the US and what they are doing to Palestine.is wrong. I avoid his conversations and when I can't...I speak up for Israel.

I began listening when I heard Israel or Palestine mentioned and gradually realized I was hearing things that sent up little red flags. Still I clung to Israel and Jews not being wrong because they'd suffered so much. And very clearly, I worried that disagreeing or criticizing Israel was a form of antisemitism. I was pretty sure I wasn't but if someone accused me of being antisemitic, then I could be. I didn't want that!

I was making a very slow, almost silent transition. Then in March 2004, during a demonstration in New York on the anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, I was approached by a stranger asking "Have you ever thought of going to Palestine?" I replied, "No, it never entered my head," She explained a group of women, "Women of a Certain Age" were going in June. She gave me web sites to check and her email address. I began thinking of Palestine full time. I went to New York, met the women and signed on. I asked Gail why she'd chosen me..... She saw my grandson and me sitting on the curb being interviewed by a reporter and decided "go for it" I was the only person she asked out of the hundreds of thousands of people there. I believe it was divine intervention....not everyone agreed with me.

For Palestinians, life in the West Bank is one humiliating experience after another. I do not know how they are able to maintain their composure. They are harassed at checkpoints. insulted by unexpected searches, fearful of the Border Patrol, soldiers and police, powerless as settlers take their homes and land....destroy their trees. Forced to live in assigned areas...unable to leave them. road blocks make travel difficult or impossible. The threat of unjustified arrest and imprisonment is always a possibility.


How do they maintain such pride and dignity? They are amazing people!!! Kind, gracious, hospitable they do not complain, but they do ask "Why" Why don't other countries help us?"" Why?" "Why?" Why?" And what answer can you give them? There is no excuse for what is being done and no excuse for allowing it to happen or continue. No countries even try to help.


Israel has created an atmosphere of fear in Israel and in the West Bank. Because of military presences Israelis believe they are in danger....why else would soldiers be needed? and so many of them. Their government tells them they are at risk, danger is lurking around each corner You need protection from people who wont recognize your country.... want it destroyed. . The Israeli government has created an environment of imagined fear...they need the army and other protections to be safe.


In May 2009 I was able to join a delegation traveling to Gaza.It is impossible to describe the conditions in Gaza! Rubble everywhere; ghostly shells of buildings; homes flattened or left in jagged piles; farmland and orchards ruined; everywhere you look their is massive destruction. I wasn't prepared for the magnitude of destruction left by Israel's "Operation Cast Lead" 


People who'd lost their homes were living in tents of all sizes and description. Not only had they lost their homes, most of their possessions were gone as well. The most devastating loss was that of family, friends and neighbors.
Almost everyone we met had lost a loved one. Many in Gaza are very angry; anger that is justified. I don't know what I would do faced with those circumstances. It would be difficult not to hate the people who had caused such devastation.


The people of Gaza were as gracious, kind, helpful and hospitable as the Palestinians from the West Bank. With so very little they were prepared to share what they had. They didn't ask for handouts, or to have help getting out of Gaza....all they asked was that when we arrived home we tell people how it is in Gaza. They are trapped, unable to leave due to the siege and closed borders; even those with medical conditions needing treatment in other countries are often denied permission to travel. Food and items needed for daily living are limited, controlled by Israel. Damage from the bombardment has not been repaired or rebuilt because Israel has denied the necessary supplies to cross into Gaza.


This summer the road is leading me to Palestine once again. While in Gaza last year I was invited to return and volunteer at the Qattan Center for the Child. Since then I have received a second invitation; this one with Afaq Jadeeda. So I'll leave for Gaza the last week of August and spend six weeks there, spending most of my time with the children and I can't wait. I hope they'll accept me, teach me some Arabic, help me fly kites....and that we'll build friendship and respect for each other...and between Americans and Palestinians.


Had anyone told me at the Olympics in 1972 that I would be happily planning a trip to Palestine I would never have believed them. I wouldn't have believed it in 2002. Thank goodness we are able, if we choose, to change our attitudes and beliefs when we find they are wrong. It has truly been a long road from Munich to Palestine.Many supportive people have contributed, making this all possible. Fortunately I've been able to make the journey  .  



2 comments:

  1. Hello Susan. Your awakening is so similar to mine and I expect thousands of others who are now aware of the truth in Palestine. I am planning a trip to Palestine at the end of 2011 for my 50th birthday. I hope it has affects me the same way it did you and that I find ways to become more active and productive in helping the people of Palestine or to raise awareness of the situation. I look forward to reading about your trip in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Susan, Israel was not around during the Holocaust. Jews were killed, not Israelis. While I understand someone objecting to how you referred to Jews in this blog, I also understand your using Jews before your saying they were hurt and deserve not to suffer anymore.
    I think you were writing about how you saw the world at that time. You did not know much more than what we are taught in school. I am so glad that you have been able to learn more about what is happening in this part of the world. More people must learn about this part of the world before we destroy ourselves. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete