Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sad Facts and a Reality Check

Sad facts are difficult to accept as well as to pass along to others. I am unable to enter Gaza. It's short and simple; actually it's long and complicated. There are no viable avenues for me to explore...I feel I've tried my best; it is time to face reality and move on. I've experienced an extremely emotional four days...all the days I've been here have been more emotional than "regular" days...the past four have been gut wrenching for me. I've felt heart broken, defeated, sad, angry, sorry for myself....you name it.

Last night I spoke with a new guest, a handsome man about 30 years old. When I asked where he was from he answered that he was born in Sweden but is a Palestinian, from Gaza. When I heard Gaza I told him I was trying to go there but was being denied permission to cross the border...political/bureaucratic games stood in my way.

He then began to tell me his story. He's here trying to get his wife out of Gaza, he hasn't seen her in more than a year. His parents are here with him; is their third trip to pick her up and take her to Sweden. Once they waited two months without success; the second time one month. His parents are from Gaza; they can't return., which is very difficult for them. And he hasn't seen his wife for a year...that is repeated through out our conversation. They have tried and tried and tried to receive permission for her to leave....it's been expensive, it's been difficult and disappointing; Hopefully this time they'll be successful. He wants me to talk with his parents, they would love to  talk to me.

I had tears welling up in my eyes when I told him about not being able to go to Gaza. As he told his story, tears began rolling down my cheeks. It brought me back to reality...the "problem"....the horrible situation involves and encompasses the Palestinians.... My situation is minuscule compared to their's.  I needed the reality check!

This post was begun on Wednesday....it's now Thursday night, actually Friday morning 1:45 am. Sleep has been difficult to come by for weeks. I just sleep when I can...it's a very irregular schedule and probably not particularly healthy. I'll correct the sleep pattern when I return to Doylestown.

I saw the young Palestinian man early in the evening...then went with him to visit his parents in their room.
I hardly know what to say....they have been through so much....love Palestine...love Gaza....it's so painful for them to be denied entrance to the place they were born and consider home...even though they have lived in Sweden for over 40 years. ...they are subject to discrimination... hatred...from what they said this has increased during recent years. They want to go home...where their grandfather lived, their great grandfather lived...their family's home for hundreds of years..and they can not return. Part of family land was taken...stolen for the buffer zone.

They offered me coffee, cookies....homemade, brought with them from Sweden...traditional Palestinian cookies. When I left I was given a plate of cookies and  apples...from Sweden but grown in Jamaica., The Palestinian hospitality never ceases to amaze me.

At one point I mentioned the pictures the children in Gaza had drawn...their experiences during Operation Cast Lead. A very noticeable change came over the father, a man about my own age. He maintained his composure but it was struggle...When I was a small boy, just six years, they came and burned, burned everything; we ran, my feet were burned, here and here and here (he showed me his foot). my parents ran but I was lost...I was on my own for weeks...no one taking care of me...only six years old...same clothes, no bath..my father found a man with a strong voice..they went from house to house calling for me. I was only six...it comes back to me...I dream it; I was only six.

I think... And now he's lost again....he may not go home to Gaza..they must stay away from the border..four or five miles, I can't remember which..

This is insanity! They should not have to be going through this. None of the Palestinians should. The US is the only way to solve the I/P problem....maybe US soldiers must.. I do not understand how the world can stand by and watch this happen....without US money and support this would not happen. Why my country contributes to this insanity...finances it...I do not understand. It makes me ashamed!

3 comments:

  1. Hi anonymous...FYI I have been in Israel...via Ben Gurion airport. I must say the experience was unpleasant, and I'm being kind.
    The employees were rude, treated visitors with disdain and disgust, were not helpful, which seemed to be deliberate. Why? I was a guest in the country?

    And then there Israeli citizens being treated with kindness and respect. There seems to be a double standard.

    My concerns involve Israel, extreme Zionists, Settlers and people wearing blinders. It's possible to visit Israel...be taken on a tour including the West Bank and never see a Palestinian, let alone get a glimpse of their daily life.

    Please refrain from using language that offends.
    You are a guest on this blog...given way more time than everyone else...In the future your comments will not be published if your language is inappropriate or offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:36 PM

    You're right--Jews are SO rude. And pushy! There not "authentic" and "generous" and "other" like these oh so wonderful Egyptians (who seem to be a great help to you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:38 AM

    Susan, so sorry to hear you cannot enter Gaza. Those of us keeping tabs on The Lobby recognize they have polluted America's foreign policy. Unfortunately, they are simple authoritarians, they're in America's living room, they play hardball, and they've demonized Gaza and every humanitarian who wants to aid Gaza. Even holocaust survivors who wanted to bring aid by boat recently were demonized as "wanting to aid Hamas"! So I'm not surprised you're caught in a kafka-esque web which is part of the Zionist project to grind the Palestinians out of their own land. What the simpletons don't realize is that being on the wrong side of history will bring terrible consequences to them someday. This is why there is a Hamas and a Hezballah, and why there are tens of thousands of rockets pointed at Israel.

    ReplyDelete