Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Where is Cairo?

While in Egypt  last year I fell down marble stairs needing 18 stitches on my face and after doing enough complaining about pain in my foot; an ex ray was taken, a toe was broken and a cast was put on my foot.  After calling my family, I called my doctor's asking for an appointment the day after I arrived home. The receptionist was very slow. I explained I'd hang up and call back in 15 minutes; I didn't want horrendous phone charges; I was calling from Cairo.I called back in 15 minutes and my appointment was all set.

When I went for the appointment and signed in a woman behind the desk said."Oh, you're the one who was in Cairo" she began laughing, pointed at another receptionist, saying, "She didn't know where Cairo was!" I did a double take. Others in the office began laughing and teasing the receptionist. It seems I'd spoken to her the first time I called; she'd hung up the phone asking "where's Cairo, this patient's calling from Cairo." I made some comment about having lousy geography classes, with hopes people would stop laughing at her

Where is Cairo?.Today, I'm sure she knows about Cairo. as do all people with access to news.....Cairo, Egypt, the Egyptian's revolution;......not knowing about them would be difficult unless you had no radio, no TV, internet, no contact with another human being.

My phone began ringing last Wednesday....I bet you're thankful you aren't in Cairo... Isn't it awful?.... What would make them want to carry on like that?.....Aren't those demonstrations terrible? People are getting hurt!.....Were you near that square?,,,,,There's no food; no bathrooms...I wouldn't get into that mess....I'm thankful you aren't there! .....Did you know this was going to happen?......I bet these demonstrations and everything are why you weren't allowed into Gaza! ...At least no one asked, "Where is Cairo?"

I was in a quandary....how should I respond to these questions and comments? Part of me wishes I was in Cairo standing with the Egyptians...supporting them; being counted as one of those tens of thousands. As I write that I realize, I'm not an Egyptian so I probably couldn't be counted....but I could be a part of their amazing revolution.  Probably being there would add to everyone's stress, including my own It has gotten dangerous and outside Tahrir square. Yesterday and today the number of protesters rose again....an encouraging sign. Some of the Labor Unions also went on strike which is support the protesters need.

Yesterday I saw a video clip of an interview with John McCain,,,he refereed to the demonstrations demanding freedom and a democracy in Egypt as a virus....yes a terrible, horrible virus that will spread throughout the middle east. How in the world can someone be that out of touch and stupid??? Referring to the desire for freedom and democracy as a virus....beyond words....well he did give us Sara Palin so it shouldn't be too great a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment